The first plots of homes on the £8billion regeneration project are nearing completion, reports Grace Howarth, Local Democracy Reporter

Brent Cross Town “continues to be a positive story” according to Barnet Council, as the first residential plots near completion.
The deputy leader and cabinet member for homes and regeneration, Ross Houston, gave cabinet members an update on the £8billion project’s progress last night (Thursday 5th).
Plot 12, comprising 120 homes, will house the second set of residents from the neighbouring Whitefield Estate, rehoused as part of the scheme, and is “now completed” with residents moving in over the next few months.
In July, 47 new homes on Brent Terrace, a part of the broader regeneration programme of Brent Cross and Cricklewood, were occupied by the first batch of Whitefield residents, although issues with the homes’ heating system initially delayed the move.
A temporary gas boiler was installed in May with the “corrective works” expected to be completed in time for the “switchover” to the new “enhanced energy centre” in late January 2025.
The structural frame on the building dubbed Plot 1, which sits adjacent to Brent Cross West Station and will form part of a new Sheffield Hallam University campus, is “now up to third floor level”.
Work remains “on programme” for the building to be completed in summer 2026.
Cllr Houston said: “Given some of the more negative conversations we’ve had, Brent Cross continues to be a positive story for the council, we’ve got a bunch of pressures, but Brent Cross is one of the biggest regeneration schemes in the country and continues to deliver.”
He said: “One of the things that’s worth highlighting are revised third phase proposals, that will bring forward a smaller number of plots.
“So they’ll be a third phase part two that will come forward subsequently and that’s just a matter of scheduling.”
Progress on Brent Cross Town is currently in its first phase, with the overall development expected to be delivered across three.
In total 6,700 new homes will be built, a new town centre, and up to three million square feet of office space, providing over 25,00 jobs delivered.
The project’s new railway station, which opened late last year, has also helped progress.
Cllr Houston said: “Another part of the success story here is the station, 290,000 passengers will have used the station in the first full year of operation and that’s way above what was expected.
“Again this shows what a really important piece of infrastructure that is and it really was delivering the station that’s made Brent Cross one of the most exciting regeneration projects going forward in London, and continuing to be a success story.”
No news is bad news
Independent news outlets like ours – reporting for the community without rich backers – are under threat of closure, turning British towns into news deserts.
The audiences they serve know less, understand less, and can do less.
If our coverage has helped you understand our community a little bit better, please consider supporting us with a monthly, yearly or one-off donation.
Choose the news. Don’t lose the news.
Monthly direct debit
Annual direct debit


£5 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else, £10 per month supporters get a digital copy of each month’s paper before anyone else and a print copy posted to them each month. £50 annual supporters get a digital copy of each month's paper before anyone else. £84 annual supporters get a print copy by post and a digital copy of each month's before anyone else.
More information on supporting us monthly
More Information about donations










Enjoying Barnet Post? You can help support our not-for-profit newspaper and news website from £5 per month.