Barnet Post

Barnet Post

Spirited Bees knocked out of FA trophy

Barnet was knocked out of the FA Trophy after 3-2 loss to local rivals Boreham Wood

Hero for Spirited Bees knocked out of FA trophy
The Barnet squad after the full-time whistle. Credit: Nnamdi Onyeagwara
By Nnamdi Onyeagwara 20 December 2021

Barnet were knocked out of the FA Trophy on Saturday afternoon after an unlucky 3-2 loss to local rivals Boreham Wood. 

Boreham Wood, who currently sit third in the National League, only had two substitutes on the bench and visited the Hive with a depleted squad.  

The Bees opened the scoring in the ninth minute when winger, Rob Hall, found space on the edge of the Boreham Wood penalty area and his deflected half-volley found the back of the net.

However, the Wood equalised five minutes later through striker, Tyrone Marsh, whose left-footed drilled shot beat Barnet goalkeeper, Aston Oxborough, and found the left-hand corner of the net. 

Despite the game being a cagey affair with neither side being able to get a significant foothold on proceedings for large periods of the match, the away side did manage to string some chances together and was rewarded for their efforts in the 29th minute.

They were awarded a penalty after Sam Woods fouled Adrian Clifton after a Boreham Wood corner. 

Tyrone Marsh smashed in his second of the game from the penalty spot, a penalty that just crossed the line, to make it 2-1.

The home side did level it up before halftime after they won the ball in midfield and Rob Hall played a great through ball into Wesley Fonguck, who finished smartly past Boreham Wood keeper, Taye Ashby-Hammond in the 36th minute.

They could have had, and probably should have had, a penalty of their own, in the 43rd minute when Rob Hall was taken down in the area after driving inside the area, but it was not given. 

Just as the first half ended with controversy, the second half began in the same vein.

Bees central midfielder, Mitch Brundle, was shown a straight red card after a confrontation in the penalty area and the uphill battle Barnet faced immediately became even steeper. 

Nevertheless, being reduced to ten men seemed to invigorate the home crowd and the Bees responded to this influx of added energy, forcing a great save from Ashby-Hammond in the 57th minute.

However, despite Barnet playing bravely and confidently, it was Boreham Wood that went on to score the fifth and final goal of the game in the 65th minute.

Tyrone Marsh completed his hat-trick and ensure that not only would Boreham Wood be going through to the next round, but he also ensured that he would be going home with the man of the match accolades.

He won the ball on the edge of the Barnet penalty area, nutmegged defender Reiss Greenidge, and fired the ball into the top corner. This was by far the goal of the game and was worthy of sending the Wood into the next round. 

Barnet piled on the pressure for the remaining 25 minutes and battled hard but after the second straight red card of the game, substitute Josh Payne being sent-off for a dangerous tackle in the 91st minute, the game was all but done.

The home crowd booed at full-time, but those boos were directed at the officials who did have several dubious calls throughout the game. 

Overall, Barnet should exit the cup with their heads held high. They battled bravely and there were several good performances on the day. It just simply wasn’t their day.