Barnet Post

Barnet Post

Barnet FC vs Altrincham: A last-minute equaliser

Barnet FC pulled their weekend match against Altrincham back with a last-minute goal

Hero for Barnet FC vs Altrincham: A last-minute equaliser
(Credit: Nnamdi Onyeagwara)
By Nnamdi Onyeagwara 12 January 2022

The first chance of the game came in the 11th minute – following an amazing defensive block from Sam Beard, my Man of the Match, in the Barnet penalty area. 

The ball was then launched long, brought down by Adam Marriott and passed wide to Rob Hall, who cut inside and forced a good save from Altrincham keeper, Tony Thompson. 

Hall, who recently signed a new contract at Barnet, was very exciting in the first half with some intricate touches and good linkup with right-back, Jordan Thomas. 

After about 25 minutes, rain started to pour – and this seemed to wash away the good passing patterns that Barnet had managed to create. Consequently, the away team had one of their best chances in the 37th minute. 

Former Wales under-21 winger, Dan Mooney, cut inside onto his left foot and had his drilled shot saved by Barnet keeper, Aston Oxborough. A chance almost identical to Rob Hall earlier in the half. 

Barnet struggled to retain possesion – a theme that would last for the majority of the game – with few chances created for the rest of the first half. 

Despite a penalty claim in the 43rd minute when Sam Beard was taken down in the box (which, in my opinion, really should have been given), they ended the half with Altrincham seeming the happier side.

The second half continuted in the same vein. Barnet manager, Dean Brennan, brought on attacking reinforcements in Mason Bloomfield and Wes Fonguck, in an attempt to get more of an offensive foothold in the game. 

However, the Bees were still limited to long balls and looked bereft of any Plan B, after Bloomfield was unable to win the ball in the air. 

The Bees and the Robins traded chances when Josh Hancock spun around in the penalty area and shot over the Barnet bar in the 50th minute – and Adam Marriot won a flick on from a corner in the 56th minute and brought a good save from Tony Thompson in the Altrincham goal.

Although a cagey affair until this pint, Greater Manchester's side took the lead in the 62nd minute – when former Rotheram United midfielder, Ben Pringle, capitalized on a mistake from centre-back Ben Richards-Everton, got the ball on the edge of the Barnet penalty area, cut inside onto his left foot, and curled a peach of a shot into the far corner. 

This goal seemed to rock the home team and home fans, as frustration started to creep in and mistakes followed. The wet surface of the pitch did not help this feeling of uncertainty, and this was epitomised by a Richards-Everton booking in the 67th minute. 

Barnet showed no real pattterns of play for extended periods of the game, resorting to constant long balls and hoping to win a flick on for the majoiry of the match. 

Were they lacking a plan for this game? When Sam Woods came off for centre-back Reiss Greenidge in the 84th minute and defender, Richards-Everton, was instructed to go up front in the aim of winning balls in the air – it seemed that way.

But Barnet FC were spared the blush of a home defeat in the 92nd minute when midfielder Mitch Brundle chested down the ball in the Altrincham area, and volleyed a beauty into the left-hand corner of Thompson’s goal. 

The Bees' performance left plenty to be desired – and they'll need an improved to showing on Saturday, 15th January when up against second-placed Chesterfield.